Thursday, August 30, 2018

2.3 Hugs Can Be Deceiving

'Long before the screen door slammed, she was out of Xenia'

I'm annoyed with this. I made a big emotional investment in series 1 as a whole, and particularly the series 1 cliffhanger. I had actual nightmares. And now I feel cheated on both counts.

We have a cartoony tone generally, and a suspiciously tidy resolution for the questions I raised about in the last reaction. Penn and Piper lying side by side in the snow, neat as a fairy tale indeed.

I'm almost too annoyed to admit that there were three things I liked. But:

Firstly, seeing the show we saw put on for the newcomers in 1.1, but from the other side.

Secondly, 'I spent a lot of time wondering if it would matter if I died.' That's a sentiment that really fits with the horrible claustrophobia of the Chicago detention centre. I would have liked to see it given a bit of space so it could sink in.

Thirdly, 'The whole "I'm the star of my own movie and everyone else's too" complex'. Interesting in the light of the discussions we've had about Pipercentricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment