Monday, January 10, 2005

Shallow and the form letter

I submitted a comment to the BBC website, expressing support for the decision to show Jerry Springer the Opera. I got a reply today which assumed that I'd sent them a boilerplate religious extremist's complaint about the programme. Why did I bother?

Watching it on tape yesterday, I thought Act 1 was great. Act 2 was rather dull once I'd worked out where it was going. There was a very characteristic bit of Stewart Lee phrasing in one of the captions - 'This act contains mock-heroic language...'.

The whole show made me think about how Buffy the Opera would work. Unlike Once More, with Feeling it'd be set in the Buffy meta-universe, so you'd have Joss Whedon as God, Marti Noxon as the Devil and a Greek chorus of representative fans.

Update January 29th: I find that at least one other person had the same experience. With the BBC, not the Buffy opera idea..

No comments:

Post a Comment