Tuesday, June 30, 2009

We won't give a fig

Some poor sod wrote to Micro Mart last week describing his doomed attempts to get Puppy Linux to work on a PC with a dialup connection. Sure enough, this week two Linuxbots have written in lambasting him for actually trying to do anything useful with Linux.

I dislike Microsoft as much as anyone, and continue to test new versions of Linux as they appear in the hope that one day I'll find one that's usable. But I don't believe that lying about Linux' shortcomings will achieve anything.

I won't stop buying Micro Mart every couple of weeks or so either. It has its shortcomings - it prints a lot of filler (I haven't seen so many stock photos since I used to read the Methodist Recorder), and one of its columnists once boasted frighteningly about how he enforced his will on his children 'with an iron fist'.

But in other respects it's the closest you can get these days to the can-do spirit of the computer magazines of the early 80s. And it's only £2.

No comments:

Post a Comment