Saturday, November 27, 2010

Another excellent astro session from 8-10pm last night. While the scope cooled, I learnt my way round Eridanus, which was visible down to tau 5 at about 21 deg S.

Then failed to locate M34 or split gamma 1/2 Andromedae with the 25mm. I did however work out how to use the star diagonal: the reason I was getting such a good view of the central obstruction, and the floaters in my eye, was that I needed to refocus to take account of the fact that the eyepiece was now further away from the image. I was surprised how clear the view was once it was properly focused.

Then on to Orion to split delta (Mintaka - location of Who Watches The Watchers) with the 25mm (thought the companion was a ghost at first) and get my first look at M42 and the Trapezium.

Finally I swung round to look at Jupiter with the 9mm but dew was a serious problem by then and I could just make out the disc, three moons and belt.

No comments:

Post a Comment