Friday, March 30, 2012

Naive Avengersthon - 53. The Charmers

The charm of this story wore off very quickly - for about the first 5 minutes I enjoyed the 'Spy vs. Spy' type comedy, but it soon became very tiresome indeed. I hope this isn't the direction that the show is going to go in. I like straight stories with comic interludes, not this broad comedy where they aren't taking it seriously at all. One of my least favourites so far.

Perhaps Fenella Fielding prejudiced me against it - I love her in The Poetry Society, but when I see her in anything else she puts my teeth on edge.

Some of the comedy did appeal to me: the suggestion that Steed was annoyed not to find his picture on the evil spies' Most Wanted board for instance, and also the cab-hailing drill at the charm school run by Brian Oulton (who's crossed my viewing path before in everything from Hancock to The Young Ones via Carry On).

If you're going to have a childrens-TV-style comedy spy chief, then Warren Mitchell is a good choice to play him.

Also seen - Frank Mills, who was the radio telescope Director in Terror of the Autons and Peterson the commissionaire in the Granada Blue Carbuncle, as the dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment