Saturday, March 21, 2020

Survivors - 6 Garland's War

With this and the previous episode we seem to be losing direction a bit, the overall story and world-building isn't really going anywhere. Or maybe it's just that I'm getting used to the coronavirus emergency and that has dulled the edge of my appreciation.

It's a good workmanlike story though, quite tense and with a double twist - given an extra layer of mis-misdirection by having Count Grendel as the Waterhouse leader. Sandifer thinks she's so clever with her psychochronography, but my techniques are even more advanced and can work retrospectively through time.

Everyone continues to wear winter coats, it could be very early March.

Abby really enjoying a smoke in this. 'I thought I'd given these up,' she says ruefully. I wonder if that remark and her nicotine hunger is meant to suggest that she hasn't been able to forage any more cigarettes since we last saw her smoking at breakfast in the railway station at the start of episode 5, or whether she means she'd given up before the plague. I'll have to check ep 1 to see if we see her smoking there.

Cigarette supplies notwithstanding, she hasn't run out of eyeliner, that's reassuring. Oh, now I want to write fanfic about her finding some between episodes 1 and 2 and being encouraged thereby (though poignantly reminded of the old world).

In case it isn't obvious, I've really connected with Abby as a character, her combination of vulnerability and indomitability is fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment