Friday, April 23, 2004

So there I was, completely crushed.

As it turned out, though, this huge disappointment sort of inoculated me for the disappointment induced by the actual episodes in the second half of series 7. That came partly from a misunderstood glimpse of a summary for Storyteller. I got the idea that the series would conclude with the apotheosis of Buffy. I don't think any television could have lived up to how that looked in my imagination.

Even if I hadn't been expecting that, I'd've felt let down by the 'Junior Slayers Platoon' arc. To me Buffy was never about Buffy being in command of anyone. When she did try to give explicit orders to the Scoobies, they often resisted. Like in The Harvest for a start, when Buffs ordered Xander and Willow not to help her... If I wanted army stuff, I would have bought the boxed set of that spinoff featuring Riley in the jungle, the one with Xander - stuck in 'military guy' persona - as his second-in-command.

Come to think of it, I dreamt about Riley last night. I think he's the last credits-quality character to turn up in my dreams. He dealt with this bloke who was hassling me at my friend's wedding. I feel such an ingrate now, because I've always hated Riley, but in the dream we were best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment